The Department of Sociology was set up in the year 2002. The Department started with one teacher, Sri Tanmay Das, who contributed in numerous ways to build up the Department. Since then the Department has grown in strength of teachers and students. Over the years, a good number of books and journals have been purchased, which are available at the College Library. The Department also maintains a departmental library of text books for needy students. The course helps students develop a critical understanding of society and prepares them for a career in the social sector as in ngos, teaching jobs, etc.
Presently the Department offers a General Course in Sociology. The college has plans to introduce the Honours Course in Sociology in the near future.
|Study Level||Cut-off marks at Entry||Approved intake|
|UG (General)||As per C.U. norms||-|
The Central Library of the College has sufficient number of Sociology books for reference of the students. There is a Departmental book bank which lends out books to extremely needy students for the whole year. There is a laptop, screen and projector at disposal to enrich the classes audio-visually. Audio-visually equipped classrooms are shared in common.
|Angana Dutta||M.A.||Assistant Professoremail@example.com|
|Sohini Saha||M.A.||Guest Lecturerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
The faculty tries to make the Course attractive by using different teaching-learning methods as film shows, quiz and wall magazines. In the academic session 2015-16, the department has organised the following activities :
1. Invited lecture on Drug Addiction delivered by S.I. Mr. Amit Chatterjee, Narcotics Department, Kolkata Police.
2. Film show on Ethnic Diversity of North East India, based on 3rd year syllabus.
3. Wall magazine on Child Labour was published.
4. Invited talk was organized on 10th Sept, 2016 on Recent Trends in Juvenile Delinquency by Smt.Neeloo Sherpa, Detective Department, Kolkata Police and Dr.Subrata Sarkar,Psychologist, former Principal, Govt. College of Nursing, R. G. Kar Medical College and Hospital. Collaboration with the Department of Hindi.
The Department holds occasional film shows and invited lectures in order to make the subject more relevant to real life situations.
Students of the Department are also active participants in social work as volunteers of the National Service Scheme wing of the College.
Fair number of students score first class in the Department.
The Department has plan of opening Honours Course in Sociology in near future. It also plans to enrich its library to help the students get a better grip over the course. More and more e-content is being designed on topics from the syllabus so that students may fall back on such materials even beyond the classrooms. In the upcoming academic session 2016-17, the following activities have been planned:
1. Invited lectures for a wider understanding of syllabus.
2. Quizzes to make learning more intersting.
3. Wall magazines.
4. Film shows.
(033) 2422 1331 (Extension 23)
HOD: Angana Dutta : email@example.com